[Gllug] Microsoft was distributing Ubuntu

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Wed Jul 4 16:24:29 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 03:44:09PM +0100, Richard wrote:
> > It's essential for using one, though, for anything where your salary is
> > on the line.  For all the things that I don't like about MySQL, setting
> > up replication is trivial and uncomplicated, as is almost every other
> > aspect of the feature.
>
> Well now, that very much depends on what you use it for. I don't think
> replication is an essential feature for using an RDBMS but I'm neither a
> DBA nor a sysadmin responsible for making sure our DBs are always
> available.

That would go a long way to explaining the difference between our
perspectives.  That said, developers often come to appreciate good
replication, particularly if they work somewhere that enforces proper
segregation between production and development environments.  Beyond
that, it's quite common for an application architecture to use a
write-to-one, read-from-many approach to databases (for scaling, HA,
backups, data archival etc) and anybody involved in designing something
like that will realise the importance of replication.

--
Bruce

It is impolite to tell a man who is carrying you on his shoulders that
his head smells.