[Gllug] A few words on the topic of stock spam

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 03:56:58 UTC 2007

On 15/07/07, Martin A. Brooks <martin at hinterlands.org> wrote:

> Peter Childs wrote:
> > This has come up a number of times before (in numerous circles), We
> > need a complete rewrite of SMTP, POP3, IMAP etc
>
> Errr, no, no we don't. They work fine. What _does_ need to happen is for
> ISPs to take more responsibility for outbound mail, yes, in fact _hell
> yes_, at the expense of customer convenience.

Actually its quite easy to see where I'm comming from.

Look at what people use email for and you will understand.

1. Send information you don't want others to see on route. (eg Creditcard
Details)
2. Send Photos to friends hmm there are a large number of these flying
around.
3. Send Newsletters and information that looks better than plain text.
4. Know who you message has come from and know that its really them.

If you can safely tell me that EMails are the best way of doing these things
then well done. In any case these are the things 80% of the internet
community are doing (Using Outlook Express on Windows because that's what's
pre installed) I know this group don't believe that anyone who is not a geek
should be using a computer. Problem is they are and we have to ensure that
the way the computer works can cope with that fact and can't abuse it.

(Currently to do that I would have to PGP sign and encrypt my message and
add quite a lot of bloat to the message to fit that picture down the wire by
which time I doubt many people could read the content (Including the person
I want to read it).

Peter.