[Gllug] Observed speed of gigabit ethernet only about 1/4 or 1/5 of advertised

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Mon Jul 16 10:20:22 UTC 2007

Kostas Georgiou wrote:

> The nvidia NIC should be connected to a bus that can handle gigabit
> speeds but I am not sure about the quality of the driver, as always
> nvidia hasn't released any info and the driver is the result of reverse
> engineering the nvidia binary module. I think most of the problems
> on the driver have been fixed now but you never know.

All the bugs have not been fixed.
 From forcedeth.c

" * Known bugs:
  * We suspect that on some hardware no TX done interrupts are generated.
  * This means recovery from netif_stop_queue only happens if the hw timer
  * interrupt fires (100 times/second, configurable with NVREG_POLL_DEFAULT)
  * and the timer is active in the IRQMask, or if a rx packet arrives by
chance.
  * If your hardware reliably generates tx done interrupts, then you can
remove
  * DEV_NEED_TIMERIRQ from the driver_data flags.
  * DEV_NEED_TIMERIRQ will not harm you on sane hardware, only
generating a few
  * superfluous timer interrupts from the nic."
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk