[Gllug] Playing with a deployment idea - PXE, bittorrent, remote location

Alan Peery peery at io.com
Tue Jul 10 10:41:13 UTC 2007

Peter Childs wrote:
> Are you basically suggesting using something like...
>
> Debian Net install with a bittorrent package archive, or something
> more like LTSP.
>  I don't see why you should not adapt apt to work with bittorrent
> rather than http, ftp, or cdrom which is already does.
Yes, that is the sort of idea.  Do you have any idea how modular the
download code is in apt?  If it's modular, this sort of change should be
relatively simple.

I'd still need to do a bit clever scheduling so that only one client at
the remote branch pulls packages across the pipe at a time, and
hopefully carry out download activity in non-business hours.

Alan

--
Alan Peery                | Wisdom consists of knowing when to avoid
Systems Integrator        | perfection.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk