[Gllug] Microsoft was distributing Ubuntu

John G Walker johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Jul 2 21:26:27 UTC 2007

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 21:05:59 +0100 John Winters <john at sinodun.org.uk>
wrote:

> Richard Jones wrote:
> [snip]
> > I had to type the key in ... twice ... in one of those '****'
> > password fields where you can't read what you're typing.  If you
> > got the key wrong or didn't type exactly the same key twice, it
> > reset both fields!
>
> This is a design error in XP.  It's been fixed in Vista.
>
> What amazes me is that such a simple and obvious error can make it
> into released software.

I'm not. Microsoft has an "if it complies, ship it" culture.

Back in the day, when I was programming, I worked for a company like
that. If I requested time to test a program, I'd be asked, accusingly,
if I'd cocked up my coding. The company in question spent a fortune on
maintenance, and nobody (except a few dissidents) thought it was
strange.

The sad thing is that Microsoft users don't feel there's anything
strange abut their situation, either,

--
 All the best,
 John