[Gllug] Microsoft was distributing Ubuntu

Richard Cohen vmlinuz at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 09:02:40 UTC 2007

On 03/07/07, John G Walker <johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 21:05:59 +0100 John Winters <john at sinodun.org.uk>
> wrote:
>
> > Richard Jones wrote:
> > [snip]
> > > I had to type the key in ... twice ... in one of those '****'
> > > password fields where you can't read what you're typing.  If you
> > > got the key wrong or didn't type exactly the same key twice, it
> > > reset both fields!
> >
> > This is a design error in XP.  It's been fixed in Vista.
> >
> > What amazes me is that such a simple and obvious error can make it
> > into released software.
> >

> I'm not. Microsoft has an "if it complies, ship it" culture.

Speaking of Freudian slips, I assume that was meant to say "compiles" not
complies...  Of course, one of Microsoft's major design criteria nowadays is
indeed compliance - they have come under such sustained (but usually
justifiable) attack under various legal systems across the planet that they
have to be very aware of such things in any new software they ship.

Cheers
Richard