[Gllug] Network problems

Ian Norton-Badrul bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Tue Jul 24 17:38:44 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 06:30:24PM +0100, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 03:35:31PM +0100, John wrote:
> > My small network has all but ceased working. I've had it runnign for
> > about 18 months and it was fine until a couple of weeks ago. I've
> > managed to stagger through until now with all kinds of workarounds, but
> > I really need to get this sorted, so any suggestions would be gratefully
> > received.
>
> The subject line for this message is misleading, I think, or at least
> too generic to be useful.  You're not having networking problems per se,
> you're having problems with some specific services that are on your
> network (DNS or Samba or both, by the look of it).  OK, pedantry done
> with...
>
> > I've tracked the problem down to IP addresses. None of the SuSE
> > machines are picking up the correct IP addresses. For example, PC-G is
> > at address 192.168.0.2, but when I type, from PC-A
> >
> > smbclient -L PC-G
> >
> > I get the response
> >
> > Error connecting to 195.238.237.143 (Connection refused)
> >
> > I've no idea where 195.238.237.143 comes from. It's nothing to do with
> > me, guv. The same happens on the other machines, except that the last
> > triplet is 142.
>
> OK, it sounds as if you may have DNS resolution problems.  Check
> /etc/resolv.conf on the Linux boxes; is there a "search" or "domain"
> line and what does it contain?  Check the DNS settings for the windows
> boxes as well.  Also, go to the command line on these boxes and try
> resolving the address for PC-G using your cli tool of choice (host, dig,
> nslookup or whatever).

bredroll at raptor:~$ host 195.238.237.143
143.237.238.195.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer wr.eu.barefruit.co.uk.

my netgear router frequently goes on the funny and needs a power-cycle, but
nothing quite as wierd as this.

Try running the following on your computers and see which differ.

$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
$ route -n

They should all show more or less the same for route and resolv.

Ian

--
Ian Norton-Badrul

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk