[Gllug] Network problems

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Tue Jul 24 21:18:49 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 08:57:11PM +0100, John wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 18:30:24 +0100 Bruce Richardson
> <itsbruce at workshy.org> wrote:
>
> > > I've no idea where 195.238.237.143 comes from. It's nothing to do
> > > with me, guv. The same happens on the other machines, except that
> > > the last triplet is 142.
> >
> > OK, it sounds as if you may have DNS resolution problems.  Check
> > /etc/resolv.conf on the Linux boxes; is there a "search" or "domain"
> > line and what does it contain?  Check the DNS settings for the windows
> > boxes as well.  Also, go to the command line on these boxes and try
> > resolving the address for PC-G using your cli tool of choice (host,
> > dig, nslookup or whatever).
> >

> Interesting. Where does nslookup get its information from?

Did it not give a "Server" couplet at the beginning?  If not, try typing
"set debug" in nslookup and then try to resolve another address.

resolv.conf is normally what nslookup consults.

> I'm now running with only PC-A switched on. I shut down everything,
> including the router, and restarted just the one PC and the router. I
> thought that might help remove ambiguities, and wouldn't do any harm.
>
> I then ran nslookup, which gave the "non-authoritative answer"
>
> Address: 195.238.237.142
>
> and
>
> Address: 195.238.237.143
>
> The only place this could come from is somewhere on PC-A. Anybody know
> where?

Is there anything odd in /etc/hosts?

--
Bruce

I object to intellect without discipline.  I object to power without
constructive purpose. -- Spock