[Gllug] Custom Linux PC Builder in SE London

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jul 29 19:58:28 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-07-29 at 17:51 +0100, Panos Savvas wrote:
> Where do you get your info? It's uncanny. I am sure all this is
> insider strategy stuff.
> Vista is better than XP. Albeit like saying Pop Idol is more
> intellectual than Big Brother.

Actually, Vista IS XP, with added visual gimmicks, added "nag dialogues"
to give the impression of "security" and a sauce of DRM nonsense.

MS squandered many millions and several years on "Longhorn", then
abandoned all the clever stuff as they were desperate to get something
into the market place.  Don't believe the story that it took 5 years to
develop - it was actually thrown together in about seven months, which
is why it's as bad as it is!

Vista's so bloated that it won't "run" on anything less than 1 Gb RAM,
and even then it's so slow that it's useless.  It renders most hardware
obsolete as existing Windows drivers won't work any more (because of the
DRM) and the new ones are either broken or not yet written.

This could explain the Dell Ubuntu machines!

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk