[Gllug] Hardware problem

Christian Smith csmith at thewrongchristian.org.uk
Tue Jul 3 13:51:59 UTC 2007

t.clarke uttered:

> Hi
>
> LSI seem to think it maybe be a BIOS conflict of somesort, but searching the web
> has revealed nothing thats helps me.   It may may the card is 'dead', although
> the diagnostic leds on it reveal it is doing something !

You could try disabling the motherboard SCSI BIOS. But that said, you
should at least POST to the point that you can get into the BIOS setup if
the card was working.

> They have asked me to try the board in another PC,  but of course we do not
> have another with a PCI-X or PCI 64-bit slot (3.3V).  So I was wondering whether
> anyone not too distant from me  (Romford area) has a box with a suitable slot
> into which I could insert the card to see whether the BIOS thereon gets past
> the first post, so to speak.   Any other suggestions also welcome  -  I am a
> little exasperated!

64-bit PCI cards should be backwards compatible with 32-bit slots. Just
try the card in any old 3.3v PCI slot, even another slot in the server.

> thanks in advance
>
> Tim

Christian

--