[Gllug] Opteron vs Xeon

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Sun Jul 29 11:07:07 UTC 2007

I am thinking about building a new server (to replace the existing ageing one)
and have been doing some research on various motherboards and processors.
The choice is confused somewhat by my requirements for slots, so I can use
existing PCI-X scsi controllers and drives etc.

A board that seems quite attractive (though not so readily available it seems)
is the Asus KFN4-D16  - which is a dual Opteron Socket F board.  At least with
the Opterons the choice of processor type is less bewildering than the host of
different Intel variants!

However, I note that the Opteron board has dedicated memory for each processor,
as opposed to, as far as I can see, Intel processor boards having main memory
serving both processors.   So, I am wondering how this affects performance.
As I understand it a lot of linux/unix processes will be using common 'library'
code which will presumably therefore reside in only one memory location.
If this is the case, how does CPU B access memory locations in CPU A's memory
'bank' and does this materially affect performance ?

Does anyone have any general views on Opterons vs Xeons ?

Tim

This E-Mail (and any files transmitted with it) is intended solely for the use
of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you have received it in
error please notify the sender and delete the message.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk