[Gllug] I need to scream !!!

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jul 16 18:33:38 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-16 at 08:04 -0700, Bradut wrote:
> I've just got this guy (some big wig "it strategist"
> in the place I work) across my desk, saying things
> like "the market of unix is dead", "there is no
> resilience in unix".....
>
> These guys are making decisions for spends worth
> millions... Arghh !

You have my heartfelt sympathy.  I've just spent an afternoon fighting a
recalcitrant Windows "server" which is described by its owner as
"mission critical" and "irreplaceable".  There are no current backups of
their huge database, the hardware's seriously flaky, and he demands "24
hour availability".  I explained that he might get 24 hours before it
falls over again...

The latest Windows patches broke several important aspects of the way
this server is meant to work, including crippling the already marginal
functionality of IIS!

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk