[Gllug] Observed speed of gigabit ethernet only about 1/4 or 1/5 of advertised

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Mon Jul 16 16:33:56 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 04:37:55PM +0100, - Tethys wrote:
> On 7/16/07, Richard Jones <rich at annexia.org> wrote:
>
> > I'm getting 515 Mbps in one direction and still a measly 196 Mbps in
> > the other.  It appears that it isn't the switch (which is good,
> > because I won't need to send it back), but it is one or other of the
> > network cards or the driver.  That's about the limit of my abilities
> > to test because these are the only two machines in the house with
> > gigabit ethernet.
>
> A PCI 1000baseT card is only a tenner...

It's the few hundred quid for the rest of the the machine which is the
problem :-)

I'm getting another machine from Intel shortly which has some weird
on-motherboard ethernet (Intel Nineveh GigE).  Last time I looked
there was no Linux driver, but hopefully that has changed by now, so
time to do some more comparative testing.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat