[Gllug] A few words on the topic of stock spam

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 12:18:01 UTC 2007

On 11/07/07, t.clarke <tim at seacon.co.uk> wrote:
> The problem with spam is, I guess, that one man's spam is another man's
> luncheon meat, so to speak !
>
> Whilst we would probably agree to a fair degree what constitutes spam,
> there are going to be emails of 'offers' which I might quite like to
> receive that others would find a pain in the proverbial a***.

Indeed, but it's a pretty small sacrifice - much as a few people might
like to see a random stranger flashing their penis and making sexual
gestures, most wouldn't.

Fortunately if you want to see that kind of thing you can opt into it
without us being confronted with it as we take the kids to the shops.
Same applies to spam - if it's unsolicited it's spam. In fact that's
pretty much the dictionary definition.

> Can you imagine the cock-up our brilliant legislators would make of
> an 'anti-spam' law ??   You only have to look at the ludicrous complexity
> of current tax and company law to see what a mess they get into trying to
> plug hole after hole in badly drafted primary legislation.

Seems to be mostly working in the USA. Even our idiot legislators
probably couldn't screw it up enough to upset me, unlike pretty much
everything else technical they manage to make a complete dogs
breakfast - 'violent porn' laws anybody?

A.

--
http://www.aarontrevena.co.uk
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk