[Gllug] Single instance of a process - simple way

Ziya Suzen ziya at suzen.net
Thu Jul 5 18:01:29 UTC 2007

Hi there

I was going to ask if there was a simple shell lock utility where I
can use to ensure single instance of a process is run.. but I found
one as I was typing the mail:

"chiark-utils -> with-lock-ex: a simple tool for acquiring a lockfile
before running another program or script."

Anyway, question is changed a little: now I am wondering if you know
any other utilities like with-lock-ex. Maybe one with retries and
time-outs for example.

I have quite a few rsync cronjobs and I would like to run them as
often as possible. But I don't want them to collide, in case one of
the jobs is taking longer than the defined job frequency BTW, I am on
Ubuntu-Server 7.04 Feisty Fawn.

Cheers

--Ziya
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk