[Gllug] Need fix for local network problems caused by Tiscali

John G Walker johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Jul 31 11:36:42 UTC 2007

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 17:36:05 +0100 Andy Farnsworth
<farnsaw at stonedoor.com> wrote:

> Push comes to shove, put a linux box as a router just inside the
> supplied router and route your own internal network that way.

Push comes to shove, I can, of course, unplug the router from the
phone socket every time. Though that's probably the least convenient
workaround I've ever come across. A better quick and dirty method is
probably to hard code addresses until I get a permanent solution.

But I'm puzzled by the silence regarding configuring the address
request. Does everyone have their router go out to a DSN server before
responding with an IP address for a device on their LAN? It seems
strange if this is the case. I'm sure I must have a configuration
parameter wrong somewhere.

> Then, if they won't drop you from the "enhanced" service, either
> change providers or find someone outside on the internet that you can
> tunnel your packets to prior to going free on the internet.  Not most
> efficient way, but at least it works.

I'm looking at changing my provider. This last escapade has convinced
me Tiscali have serious contempt for their customers, to the extent
that it's impinging on my work. It's one thing to charge low prices and
piss people around. It's another thing to piss people around to the
extent that they can't print a simple document.

I've checked at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/, and KeConnect looks
good. Anyone any opinions? Or other recommendations?

As for tunnelling my packets elsewhere, I've tried using OpenDNS as a
DNS server, but it does the same thing as Tiscali anyway. If no one has
an idea about configuration, do they have any recommendations for a
simple DNS server that doesn't hijack the request?

--
 All the best,
 John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk