[Gllug] Hardware problem

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Mon Jul 2 22:31:49 UTC 2007

Hi
this is hardly a Linux issue, but I am hoping someone on the list can help
anyway !

I have just acquired an LSI Megaraid 320-2X Raid Card for the office server,
which is based on an Asus PR-DLS motherboard (which has an onboard LSI 1030C
scsi controller).  (It seemed a good idea to stick with the same manufacturer
for the additional raid controller.)

The problem is that if the Megaraid card is inserted into any of the PCI-X
slots on the motherboard, the machine will not boot.   No display whatsoever
appears on the console and the power-off switch takes 5 or 6 seconds to power
the machine down (instead of right away).

LSI seem to think it maybe be a BIOS conflict of somesort, but searching the web
has revealed nothing thats helps me.   It may may the card is 'dead', although
the diagnostic leds on it reveal it is doing something !

They have asked me to try the board in another PC,  but of course we do not
have another with a PCI-X or PCI 64-bit slot (3.3V).  So I was wondering whether
anyone not too distant from me  (Romford area) has a box with a suitable slot
into which I could insert the card to see whether the BIOS thereon gets past
the first post, so to speak.   Any other suggestions also welcome  -  I am a
little exasperated!

thanks in advance

Tim

This E-Mail (and any files transmitted with it) is intended solely for the use
of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you have received it in
error please notify the sender and delete the message.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk