[Gllug] Custom Linux PC Builder in SE London

Pete Stean peteste at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 27 09:36:56 UTC 2007

I did some exploring around this issue - I've been building machines for
myself and for friends for the last few years and keep up to date on the
latest products/trends/overclocking issues etc (I tend to build on a "price
of a meal and a bottle of vodka" basis - it's never turned into anything
commercial).

Anyway, what I've noted is that you have to be a bit careful with pre-built
systems that are *not* from major manufacturers (DELL systems etc), because
what I find is what most of these plain box shippers do to keep the price
down is skimp on one or two key components. I was having a conversation with
someone recently who had found a nice machine, Core2DUO, Geforce 8600
graphics card etc, all quite high spec, that came with a "no name" 450W
PSU... !  I'm not even sure that a PSU like that would give him enough
constant power to boot the system and keep it going under load. El cheapo
motherboards are another skimping measure.

All I'm saying is that building for yourself is still the best bet if you're
looking for value for money in my view - a quick post on one of the
appropriate overclocking enthusiast boards will yield positive results I'm
sure - in fact on the UK-based site I'm thinking of you''ll probably get
people providing you with product lists and pricing etc so you don't have to

Build it yourself, you know you want to ;)

Pete