[Gllug] Custom Linux PC Builder in SE London

James Roberts jr at stabilys.com
Thu Jul 26 22:02:17 UTC 2007

Wulf Forrester-Barker wrote:
> I'm currently looking at getting a new PC...
> It is a long time since I built a PC from scratch and don't really
> want to get into buying individual components this time round. I would
> also like a blank system rather than one that comes pre-installed with
> Windows and one that I know will work with Linux (specifically Ubuntu
> as my present distro of choice)

It's not custom and may not suit everyone (does not support fancy
graphics cards) but we have bought several of these for workstations,
starting price GBP 149:

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=uk&cs=ukbsdt1&kc=305&l=en&oc=SC074401&s=bsd&sbc=pedge_sc440

That's a Dell Poweredge SC440 in case that ridiculous link does not
work. I'm not a Dell fan but...

With a Core Duo oops Xeon and ECC RAM, no OS, performs rather well and
properly engineered. The buying price (depending on spec) is cheaper
than we can buy equivalent parts (and we are dealers). We are running VM
instances under Debian Etch on them with no issues so far. I'm typing
this on another of them.  I have not tried Ubuntu as such.

Might interest someone...

MeJ
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk