[Gllug] Xen Control Stuff

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Sun Jul 15 14:55:50 UTC 2007

On Sat, Jul 14, 2007 at 09:41:19PM +0100, Ian Norton-Badrul wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> It's been quite some time since I posted here, I've been up to a number of
> things since my last post, not least, getting married, having a baby, most
> recently I've been working (partly for work) with Xen and have made a fairly
> simple stab at building my own Xen VM control/admin system.
>
> Please all feel free to have a look at it and to try it out, I'm eager to see
> what people think and will eventually put together some debian packages.
>
> http://www.darkspace.org.uk/drupal/
>
> Most things seem to work pretty well with Xen 3.0 and 3.1, you just need to
> turn on the xml rpc server in /etc/xend-config.sxp, restart xend. Then unpack
> the archive in /var/www and rename the folder to 'dupe', then run the setup.sh
> script.

Looks nice ! I don't know if you've already considered it, but if you've
not, take a look at libvirt[1]. It provides a low level API for managing
virtual machines which is hypervisor agnostic. It currently supports Xen,
QEMU, and KVM. There is work in progress to port it to OpenVZ, and I
expect other platforms in the future. So if you used libvirt instead of
the Xen specific XML RPC stuff you'd be able to manage all sorts of
virtual machines with very little extra effort! Based on the capabilities
I see in your flash demo I think we've got APIs to cover most of the
functions performed in your UI.

I work on libvirt, virt-install/virsh (command line based) and on
virt-manager[2] (local desktop GUI). A web UI is the missing piece of
the jigsaw in terms of VM management apps using libvirt...

Regards,
Dan.

[1] http://libvirt.org/
[2] http://virt-manager.org/