[Gllug] A few words on the topic of stock spam

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Sun Jul 15 18:42:12 UTC 2007

Peter Childs wrote:
> This has come up a number of times before (in numerous circles), We
> need a complete rewrite of SMTP, POP3, IMAP etc

Errr, no, no we don't. They work fine. What _does_ need to happen is for
ISPs to take more responsibility for outbound mail, yes, in fact _hell
yes_, at the expense of customer convenience.

> Loads of people have discused this matter and nobody has yet come up
> with a workable spec and implementation.

Email generally _seems_ to work around here.  *waves vaguely around at
the Internet*

> The truth is the protocols used for EMails currently are not fit for
> the current purpose.

See above.

> Some of the Instant Messaging Protocols may be a good place to work
> from however.

The early 1980s called, they want their crack pipe back.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk