[Gllug] A few words on the topic of stock spam

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 18:26:15 UTC 2007

On 15/07/07, Ian Norton-Badrul <bredroll at darkspace.org.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 11:28:48AM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:

> > > Perhaps this can act as a deterrent:
> > >
> > > http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/07/10/stock_spam_charges/
> >
> > The deterrent is that sending spam should be illegal.
> >
> > We don't allow advertisers to spray-paint their message on every
> > available wall.  There are laws specifically to prevent this, and
> > anyone who persistently flouted them would eventually end up in
> > prison.
> >
> > Why then can we not have similar laws for spam?
>
> I Think partly this is because it is so easy to spoof a sender, a nasty
> third
> party can easily send spam adverts. If made illegal then you still could
> not
> prosicute the offender.

This has come up a number of times before (in numerous circles), We need a
complete rewrite of SMTP, POP3, IMAP etc to enable tracing (sender id),
security (encrtption etc), binary attachments (without the overhead of
base64 encoding) plus a list of other things.

Loads of people have discused this matter and nobody has yet come up with a
workable spec and implementation.

The truth is the protocols used for EMails currently are not fit for the
current purpose.

Some of the Instant Messaging Protocols may be a good place to work from
however.

Peter Childs