[Gllug] Wide availability of fronts

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Fri Jun 29 19:33:11 UTC 2007

--------

Alain Williams writes:

>What fonts to use is my question, ie which fonts are available everywhere ?
>Fortunately all that is needed is one font with italic & bold varients.

None. The closest you'll get is probably one of the standard PostScript
font families (Times, Helvetica, Courier and Symbol -- although the last
one's probably not a lot of use :-). Even if they don't exist by those
names, there should be a metric compatible font on pretty much every
machine you'll come across.

You could also consider DejaVu:

	http://dejavu.sourceforge.net/

It's unlikely to be installed by default on non-Linux platforms, but
the license allows you to make it available from the same place you're
making the documents available.

But aside from that, content is king anyway. Does it matter if the
editable versions look slightly different on different machines due
to font differences? The PDF versions will look fine regardless of
whether the font is installed anyway.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk