[Gllug] Wide availability of fronts

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Fri Jun 29 23:01:08 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jun 29, 2007 at 06:16:16PM +0100, Alain Williams wrote:
> My first thought was 'Times Roman', but I find that my OpenOffice
> 2.0 (CentOS 4.5) does not have it.

Times New Roman is actually a proprietary face owned by Microsoft (via
acquisition).  Red Hat's Liberation Serif font is however compatible,
which means that you can write documents which use one and they will
work interchangably with someone using the other.  In theory that is.
One problem is that the Liberation fonts aren't complete yet (but will
be later this year) so perhaps that's a problem if you're using
obscure glyphs, another is that Microsoft software won't recognise the
Liberation font and do the right substitution.  So do some experiments
first :-)

https://www.redhat.com/promo/fonts/

Rich.

--