[Gllug] ext3 filesystem suddenly full

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Fri Jun 22 12:37:57 UTC 2007

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007, - Tethys wrote:

> I'd also put /usr on a separate filesystem. That way you can mount it
> readonly.

My preferred filesystem layout runs as follows:

/		512M
/usr		4GB
/tmp		256-512M
/var		10GB
/var/log	10-50GB depending upon server purpose

Then I add space for (My|Pg)SQL, /home, etc as needed for the servers
intended purpose.

This way there is plenty of space for applications, etc and user data is
properly segregated. It also means that 1 filesystem filling will not
cause problems for the system beyond that particular filesystem.

I always segregate / and have nothing other then /etc /bin and /sbin on
it.

I remain shocked that distros still offer a single partition solution by
default. I just don't think it is ever appropriate.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG		     Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/	       up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk