[Gllug] ext3 filesystem suddenly full

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Fri Jun 22 12:01:54 UTC 2007

t.clarke wrote:
> I totally agree with Jason's comments.
>
> In my very limited experience of installing Linux distros from scratch, my
> recollection is that you don't get much info as to what is absolutely needed in
> root, what can be mounted elsewhere and importantly how much size the 'other'
> filesystems need to be.
> Without that info is difficult trying to create a system of a suitable disc
> structure.  The temptations is therefore to just let everything go into one
> file system and then sort it out later (which for various reasons may not
> happen!).
>
> On a similar note I am constantly horrified by Windows systems with a HUGE
> disc,  installed as 'C'  with everything crammed into it.   When Windows
> eventually breaks (as all windows do eventually  hehe) and really needs to be
> reinstalled its a complete pain.   Likewise I am surprised at the number of
> commercial Windows applications that shove their database in a sub-directory/
> folder or there own program-directeory rather than giving the option to put it
> elsewhere (preferably on anotehr partition/drive).
>
> Tim

I was doing battle with a RH7 (I know its old) system last week that had
a RAID1 disk setup, no LVM, partitioned with bits for /usr /var /home
and so on and so forth. /var had filled up and wasn't really big enough
anyway (100G I think). I cleared the dross and the system is tickety-boo
now but it will fill up again. But for some reason / was huge and had
oceans of space, I think 200G free. Without LVM there was precious
little I could do about it without being drastic.

I do agree that Linux, especially with LVM, is way more flexible than
Windows. And why Windows Apps squrrel their data away in c:/program
files/.... beats me - its just shoddy design. And backup hostile.

:-)

Ken

believed to be clean.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk