[Gllug] apt/dpkg woes

Tom Weissmann trmsw at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jun 27 08:32:43 UTC 2007

Tethys wrote:

> : dpkg: serious warning: files list file for package `bind9' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.

One way to deal with this is to manually download the .deb file and
extract the files list into /var/lib/dpkg/info/.

> : 12367 files and directories currently installed.)
> : Preparing to replace reiser4progs 1.0.5-1 (using .../reiser4progs_1.0.5-1_sparc.deb) ...
> : Unpacking replacement reiser4progs ...
> : dpkg (subprocess): unable to execute old post-removal script: Permission denied

> : dpkg: warning - old post-removal script returned error exit status 2
> : dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
> : dpkg (subprocess): unable to execute new post-removal script: Permission denied

Something is stopping the post removal scripts in the dpkg info
directory from running.

Try adding a simple "hello world" script to /var/lib/dpkg/info/, and
check it runs. If not, the problem is directory-wide, perhaps something
is mounted noexec?

Try adding "set -x" to reiser4progs.postrm in the same directory, to see
what it's doing and where it's failing.

> I'm now at a bit of a loss. Is there any way to get some more
> verbosity from dpkg/apt, so I can work out what's failing, and
> why I'm getting permission denied as root? How can I get to see
> the scripts that are failing to run? As far as I can tell, selinux
> isn't installed. There are no avc warnings in /var/log/messages,
> and {get,set}enforce don't seem to be present. So why else would
> I be getting permission denied errors as root?

noexec is the only thing I can think of, or scripts using an interpreter
that doesn't exist.

good luck,
Tom SW
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk