[Gllug] apt/dpkg woes

Chris Jones cmsj at tenshu.net
Wed Jun 27 09:40:03 UTC 2007

Hi

Tethys wrote:
> : dpkg: serious warning: files list file for package `bind9' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.

Well here's the first distressing error, /var/lib/dpkg/info/bind9.list
seems to be empty or missing. Are you sure you have enough space on this
partition?

> : dpkg (subprocess): unable to execute old post-removal script: Permission denied

these scripts should all be in /var/lib/dpkg/info/ with names like
reiser4progs.{postrm|prerm|postinst} and so on.
You can call the scripts by hand to see why they are returning
permission denied. I would guess a lack of space for them to have been
created properly, or incorrect mount options as suggested elsewhere in
the thread. That or gross fs corruption.

> the scripts that are failing to run? As far as I can tell, selinux
> isn't installed. There are no avc warnings in /var/log/messages,

correct, selinux is always disabled in Ubuntu at present.

> Any ideas on a) what's going on, and b) what I can do to fix it?
> How do I get reiser4progs either off the system or at least not
> in "a very bad inconsistent state"?

It recommended re-installing it, which can be done with:

apt-get install --reinstall reiser4progs

afair, but I'd want to know what was up with the permission denied stuff
first.

Cheers,
--
Chris Jones