[Gllug] London laptop recommendations

James Roberts jr at stabilys.com
Sun Jun 10 19:00:14 UTC 2007

We sell laptops to our clients (not general retail - this is not an
offer! Our prices are not competitive with the big boys). That means we
have dealt with a lot of returns. So my view of laptops is coloured by
our experience of the service side.

So:

- we avoid Acer and Asus. The machines are good. Our experience of the
service however is that it is appalling (and we're dealers!). We no
longer sell either of these notebook ranges.

- HP had *used* to be the best service anywhere until two years ago. We
are no longer selling HP except by customer demand.

- IBM is now Lenovo but the service has not so far changed - it is
excellent.

- Toshiba service is good but not as good as IBM

- have not tried Sony service yet (but only 4 machines sold).

We do not have experience of selling other makes of Notebooks.

IBMs are built like the proverbial brick house of relief, and have
consistently the best keyboards for typing IMHO. Sony are cleverest
fastest lightest and expensive-ist.

Now, to Linux on laptops:

I run Debian but have also tested with various Ubuntus and SuSE

Re: Debians

- I have found that IBM and Sony end up with more working out-of-the
install than the rest. This is on about 5 sets of installs on different
machines (2xSony). I.E. extra keys for brightness/volume lamp etc
working without config on Etch

- I have built up two quite different Toshibas with both Sarge and Etch
with no problems except have not bothered sorting or testing hardware
hibernate to disk

- Various HP notebooks have worked well enough with Sarge and Etch
(again can't speak to suspend of any sort).

I have found that any K/Ubuntu works about as well as Etch - better than
Sarge - (until I change anything in the configuration whereupon it
breaks, I sigh reformat and install Etch).

Almost exactly the same applies with SuSE: it tends to support most
things out of the box but be rather fragile. It may of course be me, as
with Ubuntu...

The models you mention are built on OEM chassis. They have various OEM
bits added depending on what they could get cheap that day. This does
not mean that there is anything wrong with them - they may run *nix well
(or not). But it is possible to find 5 machines all with the same part
number and spec but different parts. So Linux support is undefined.

Your kilometrage may vary.

JR

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk