[Gllug] ubuntu +1

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jun 20 04:44:03 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-19 at 10:30 +0100, Richard Turner wrote:

> I think this is where it really shines. Linux is Linux, so if the
> hardware is supported, given enough effort, one can get it all working
> eventually. I've found that Ubuntu has, for me, greatly reduced that
> amount of time - loads of stuff Just Works, which is great!

I've recently found much the same thing with PCLinuxOS - it's by far the
easiest (and quickest) to install on IBM laptops, and everything "Just
Works".  It uses Synaptic for package management, a good selection of
software in the basic install, has good support, and is (essentially) a
fork of Mandriva, which suits me.

I've found that recent distros really have improved in terms of ease of
installation.  Hardware detection and configuration largely now works
automatically (mostly thanks to the Knoppix project).

It's easy to forget that most Windows users haven't ever installed an
operating system, and at first glance it looks a daunting prospect.  The
concepts of dual-booting, disk partitioning and so on are entirely alien
to a Windows user, so the "Live" distros go a long way to allay their
fears.

With Dell shipping Ubuntu pre-loaded machines, desktop Linux has finally
become mainstream!

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk