[Gllug] WEP security experiences

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Wed Jun 20 08:09:31 UTC 2007

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, Caroline Ford wrote:

> As far as I understand it:
>
> Using without permission = legally bad
> Using with permission = legally good

That's about it.

> Using a cafe's access point without buying a drink is presumably without
> permission.

The measure is reasonableness. It is not reasonable to suggest that the
cafe authorises those who are not cutomers to use its facilities unless
there is some explicit authorisation.

> I can see that it would be easier to justify connecting to an access
> point without permission if you hadn't cracked their WEP key. You could
> claim that you'd "accidentally" connected to an open access point. You
> can't accidentally crack someone's WEP key. If they'd WEPed it they
> clearly didn't want you.

That's true.

As far as the law is concerned it's about the same as being in someone's
home without permission. The fact that the back door was not secure enough
to stop you breaking in does not excuse your unauthorised entry.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG		     Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/	       up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk