[Gllug] Freeview

Benjamin Donnachie benjamin at py-soft.co.uk
Tue Jun 12 11:36:07 UTC 2007

Richard Ibbotson wrote:
> Does anyone know will Freeview use decentralised P2P processing power
> or is it being used already  ?

Joost[1] are definitely using P2P - unfortunately, their system will
only work under Windows XP or on Intel Macs.  I haven't been very
impressed with it to be honest.

The VirginMedia IPTV test is using multicasting, which seems more
appropriate to me, especially as they have control of the network.  It's
causing problems with some people's firewalls but if you're actually on
the trial proper I understand that they give you a separate box and a
splitter for the cable connection.

As I'm not on the IPTV trial I can only comment that VLC on my iBook
struggles desperately to keep up with the BBC HD feed and fails abysmally!

Ben

[1] www.joost.com
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk