[Gllug] Microsoft was distributing Ubuntu

Richard Turner richard at zygous.co.uk
Tue Jun 26 08:54:07 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-25 at 23:31 +0100, Rob Crowther wrote:
> I would think the more "enterprisey" stuff like BizTalk, Sharepoint
> and
> IIS/ASP.Net (as an application server platform along the lines of
> JBoss/Websphere rather than a straight web server) and perhaps SQL
> Server are likely to find some sort of market - high ticket, low
> volume
> sales to large corporates and governments sort of stuff.

This makes sense, but are sales likely to be high enough, or high value
enough, to warrant such a departure from their current business model? I
don't know about BizTalk or Sharepoint, but if I was deploying
IIS/ASP.net I'd do it on Windows, just as if I wanted to deploy PHP I'd
do it with Apache and I'd always prefer to deploy Apache on Linux over
Windows.

Perhaps these are just baseless emotional thoughts! I wonder how many
other Linux advocates who make software buying decisions have similar
thoughts though, and whether there would be enough of them to make a
Microsoft foray into Linux World not worthwhile...

> IE 7 isn't too bad actually, certainly a big improvement over IE 6,
> which itself wasn't much better than IE 5.  I'm not sure about the
> Unix
> versions, but I know the Mac IE 5 was built off a different code base
> the Windows version and was generally considered far superior (I have
> no
> personal experience, but this is my impression from the various web
> developer lists I'm on), so a direct comparison across platforms may
> not
> be appropriate.

IE7 is certainly better than IE6, but having been working with a web
designer lately on several different sites we've still come across
glaring problems with it. Text (seemingly) randomly not rendering until
either the window is resized or the text is highlighted?!

Perhaps a direct comparison between Windows and UNIX versions is unfair,
but if they can't get it right on their own OS I'd be surprised if they
could do better on any other platform.

R.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk