[Gllug] Freeview

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Tue Jun 12 20:54:42 UTC 2007

--------

Chris Bell writes:

>   I have found that the technical quality achieved here by Freeview is
>superior to that from analogue TV, more than can be said about much of the
>content.

Really? I've found precisely the opposite. Analogue TV isn't perfect,
but it does at least degrade gracefully. Digital TV is fine when it
works, but I just can't live with the constant screen freezes and
sound dropouts. In poor weather, the freeview channels are literally
non-existent, while the analogue channels are still watchable, albeit
with some degredation in sound and picture quality. Yes, I'm in a poor
reception area (I can't get Channel 5 at all, for example, on either
analogue or digital), and I suspect things may be different elsewhere.
But I'm dreading the day when they turn off analogue transmissions.

I'm afraid that for me, digital TV has a long way to go before it's
ready for prime time. Sadly, I suspect it'll never get there :-(

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk