[Gllug] Wireless Hotspot providers

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Fri Jun 29 16:30:43 UTC 2007

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007, John Levin wrote:

> I've been asked to look into setting up a wireless hotspot in a pub,
> giving free access to customers.
>
> Can anyone point me towards a decent provider of such services? Would it
> be possible to just get broadband from, say, BT, and offer that via a
> suitably configured router? Would that be a breach of terms of services?

We have a couple of customers who are doing this.

The only real consideration worth worrying about is how much bandwidth pub
customers will use. If you block p2p or employ soemthing to throttle
bandwidth on p2p usage you should be able to prevent customers from
using vast amounts of bandwidth.

Otherwise you only need to think about how you will block access to
illegal content - a simple Squid install with squidgauard or similar
should suffice for that.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG		     Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/	       up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk