[Gllug] Microsoft was distributing Ubuntu

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jun 26 04:40:47 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-25 at 23:37 +0100, Tethys wrote:

> I'm not entirely sure which planet you inhabit, but it doesn't seem
> to be the same one as me. Firstly, 2008 for a non-Windows OS from MS?
> I'm not going to rule out the possibility entirely, but I'd be quite
> comfortable staking a fair amount of money on it not being any time
> next year.

My Redmond spy tells me that MS are working on SP1 for Vista, and apparently
the differences between the various "levels" of the "operating system" are
causing major problems.  Their other major project is a further revamp of
"Office" to include their new proprietary file types.

> And if it's not going to be running a Linux kernel, exactly which part
> of it do you see as being "Linux"? If they do a non-Windows general
> purpose OS in the future, I can guarantee you it won't be the kernel
> they'll change. It'll be Linux/Solaris/BSD/whatever with a Microsoft
> userland sat on top.

That's highly unlikely.  There's too much legacy code buried in the
innards of Windows - which STILL includes the stolen BSD TCP/IP stack
(and it remains funny that they stole a broken version) - and MS have no
real programmers left.  The current crop believe that Visual Basic is a
programming language!

MS left all the "clever" stuff out of Vista, so that it just turned out
to be the same old XP pie, with a changed desktop crust and added DRM
sauce.

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk