[Gllug] Microsoft was distributing Ubuntu

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 17:42:06 UTC 2007

On 30/06/07, Christopher Hunter <chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, 2007-06-30 at 08:17 +0100, Peter Childs wrote:
> >
> > The real problem is that linux is still only getting there in some
> > important key areas. Mostly desktop stuff. And mostly because we
> > impose a high entry point for beginners.
>
> Have you tried a really modern distro, like Ubuntu or PCLinuxOS?
> Installation is trivially simple - even for Windows users who haven't
> ever installed an operating system before.  In my fairly wide
> experience, all hardware (with the exception of Canon printers) works
> without intervention.

Yes its better but not wonderful yet. Every version of Ubuntu is better but
it still will not do duel screen and work with every every single wireless
card out of the box like windows!

>  If the only think microsoft has done right is to keep in simple then
> > that is a good thing.
> > True is does not always work and has is quite difficult to put right
> > when it does not just work. But most of the time is does.
>
> A Windows install is now usually MUCH more difficult than a Linux one -
> you seldom have all the right driver disks, drivers conflict with each
> other, there's no actual software provided, and the endless reboots will
> drive you mad!

Agreed but at least every manufacture has the drivers for windows and
everything will work. (Even if not out of the box...)

> Point two Microsoft is the only provider is certain key areas.
> >
> > 1. Games (Yes there are Linux and OSX Games but not in great numbers)
>
> That's market driven, of course.  As Linux becomes more prevalent in
> domestic use, (especially with Dell offering Ubuntu), the games
> manufacturers will spot another potential market.  It's just a matter of
> time.

Agreed and were getting there.

> 2. Presentation Software. (nothing competes with Powerpoint
> > unfortunately)
>
> The "flakiness" factor in Powerpoint makes it mostly unusable in
> reality.  There are many other, better options.  A senior executive of
> my acquaintance argues that if Powerpoint is "necessary" to explain an
> idea at a meeting or seminar, either the idea's rubbish or the person
> presenting the idea isn't sufficiently articulate to continue in his
> employ...

Agreed says something about this area really. But these days every class
room has a electronic white board. I agree that people should be able to
work without power point, but if used well its a benefit. Its very difficult
to demonstrate a computer without everyone being able to see that
computer....

Also if you are providing backing video and words of performances (Christian
and otherwise)
I have a use of a product called "Easy Worship" (www.easyworship.com)
nothing competes with this and its the only reason I put Vista on my laptop.
I'm almost thinking or writing something to compete (under linux of course).

Peter.