[Gllug] Freeview

Richard Ibbotson richard.ibbotson at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 16:52:06 UTC 2007

> Many TV companies are looking at P2P distribution.

Ah... I think this is what I was looking for.

> I suspect they are doing so in order to be able to massively
> distribute online without having to pay the cost of doing so.

Yes.  I was thinking that an innovative businessman or business team
might want to establish a new industry around this but the bandwidth
and cost involved must be something that is not easy to get round.
I can't see the cost of bandwidth going down even if the internet and
TV companies do a business deal with each other.  Which is unlikely.

> Moreover multicast requires additional facilities and agreemtents
> at the ISP level and most routers are not suitable for it.

Yes

> Sky already has a (rubbish) p2p offering.

Say n'more.  I don't like Sky myself.  These are the people who took
test match cricket away from terrestrial TV.  I can't get test
cricket on Freeview either.  I've had a good search.

--
Richard
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk