[Gllug] Command line tool to find video dimensions?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat Jun 2 17:40:42 UTC 2007

On 2 Jun 2007, Tethys spake thusly:

> Nix writes:
>
>>> 	if [ $# -eq 0 ]; then
>>
>>[[ ]] preferred.
>
> Why? Looks like two unnecessary extra characters to me...

It's just a good habit to get into, because in many non-bash shells [[
]] is internal while [ ] is not, so [[ ]] is *dramatically* faster.

>>> 		output=$(mplayer -identify -vo null -ao null -frames 0 "$file" 2>&1)
>>
>>Quote that!
>
> What for? The output of $(command) preserves whitespace without quoting.

... hm, so it does. I'm not sure what I was confusing it with...

> Besides, you could always just use sed instead:

Yes :)))

> 		sed -rn -e '/^ID_VIDEO_(WIDTH|HEIGHT)/ {s/.*=//;N;s/\n.*=/x/p;h}' \
> 				-e '$ {g;s/^$/unknown size/;T;p}'

This sort of sed is probably a criminal offence :)

--
`On a scale of one to ten of usefulness, BBC BASIC was several points ahead
 of the competition, scoring a relatively respectable zero.' --- Peter Corlett
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk