[Gllug] ext3 filesystem suddenly full

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Fri Jun 22 19:31:42 UTC 2007

--------

Chris Jones writes:

>> Growing an XFS or Ext3 filesystem is not a delicate, high-risk
>> operation.
>
>It absolutely is. Once started it cannot be interrupted and any problems
>or powerloss will utterly trash the system.

Errr... no. ext3 resizes are journalled, and the code goes to great
lengths to ensure that filesystem integrity is maintained in the
event of an unexpected interruption. It certainly won't trash the
system as you claim.

>That is the classic problem with splitting up a system into lots of
>partitions. It works fine on a server because you can largely predict
>the usage. It fails miserably on a desktop system, even though they can
>benefit a lot by it.

Seems to work fine on all of the desktop systems I've used for the
last 20 years or so. Now I'll admit it'll need a bit more care if
an app running in a graphical desktop environment is expected to
automatically detect and fix problems (possibly with some user
interaction). But it's not like there are insurmountable problems
there. I see no reason why it can't work just fine, even for a
non-technical user. Also, if you can't predict the usage pattern
on a desktop, then I'm somewhat worried.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk