[Gllug] Microsoft was distributing Ubuntu

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jun 25 22:29:51 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-25 at 09:50 +0000, Andy Smith wrote:

> > The usual way when it comes to Linux - support?
>
> Do you feel that Windows support is currently a profit centre for
> Microsoft?
>
> If it isn't (and I'm fairly sure it's not), wouldn't it be rather a
> huge departure from their current strategy, and if they were going
> to do it then wouldn't they start with doing it for Windows first?

Rumour has it that MS are going to radically reduce the prices of their
"operating systems" in an effort to get them shipped to poorer
countries.  They are then going to charge annual (or monthly) fees for
updates and support.

This model is particularly scary - when the victim - sorry, buyer - gets
his cheap Windows, there's little chance of it ever getting patched, so
the world will get ever fuller of spam relays and the like!

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk