[Gllug] Microsoft was distributing Ubuntu

Richard Turner richard at zygous.co.uk
Tue Jun 26 08:38:11 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-25 at 23:15 +0100, Bernard Peek wrote:
> In message <1182765304.6484.13.camel at alde.mediatel.co.uk>, Richard
> Turner <richard at zygous.co.uk> writes
>
> >Now, if they were selling their own proprietary software on top of an MS
> >Linux stack, that might be different, but it's not obvious how they'd
> >make a big enough impact to be worthwhile for them. Even though the Free
> >software community lacks a nice collaboration suite, for example, I
> >doubt many would turn to buy MS Exchange for Linux if it was available.
>
> Not version 1.0 but by version 3 they would have pretty much the whole
> market sewn up. I'm pretty sure that most businesses would rather buy
> from Microsoft than from Redhat.

Perhaps I have too much faith in Linux users, but I'd imagine that in
any given organisation the person responsible for rolling-out Linux is
unlikely to even consider buying and locking his company into Exchange.
There are plenty of very good reasons not to - reasons that even the
pointy-haired boss would comprehend.

R.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk