[Gllug] screen and ssh challenge

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 8 21:20:49 UTC 2007

Chris Jones wrote:
> Hi
>
> Peter Childs wrote:
>> Could you put a wrapper round ssh? nice bash script to change the screen
>
> certainly could and if I don't find a better answer, that's what I will
> fall back on. It's a bit hacky though and very sensitive to the order of
> arguments.

You can do it by putting Tet's bit of bash magic into the /etc/profile
on all your remote hosts. However, you make it's execution conditional
on the presence of an environment variable you set, and then put this
environment variable into your sshd_config in an AcceptEnv directive,
and in your ssh_config in a SendEnv directive.

That way, users who have the environment variable set will have it
propagated wherever they go, and /etc/profile will do the appropriate
magic you've set it to. Users without the environment variable set will
see no change in behaviour.

Mike
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk