[Gllug] [VACANCY] SQL Developer

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Jun 14 22:37:50 UTC 2007

On 14 Jun 2007, Pete Ryland verbalised:

> On 07/06/07, Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> wrote:
>> It used to be *much* faster than PostgreSQL, but PostgreSQL has got a
>> lot faster in the last few years and they're nearly on par now; MySQL is
>> faster for some loads, PostgreSQL faster for others.
>
> This is not true I'm afraid.  They've always been very close in
> performance.  MySQL, however, has forever had turned on by default the
> ability to use domain sockets for local connections.  This has always
> caused a perception of a large speed difference in naive benchmarks
> which didn't compare apples with apples.

More significantly, PostgreSQL's defaults (buffer sizes and so on) were
tuned until very recently for small test installations: the intention
was that people using it for serious work would tune it.

Alas benchmarkers often just tested default-config MySQL and PostgreSQL
against each other...

--
`... in the sense that dragons logically follow evolution so they would
 be able to wield metal.' --- Kenneth Eng's colourless green ideas sleep
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk