[Gllug] ext3 filesystem suddenly full

Caroline Ford caroline.ford.work at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 23 13:22:28 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-06-23 at 14:02 +0100, Pete Ryland wrote:

>  The user that
> is likely to fill up 100GB is probably also the user who has the
> know-how to select a more appropriate layout on install.  And even
> then, a non-technical user will understand "your disk is getting full"
> and be able to fix the problem, but will probably not be able to fix
> "your /var partition is getting full".

It's very easy to fill up 100GB with MP3s (and especially torrents of tv
shows and other video). You didn't need to know the first thing about
disk structures to do that, alas.

> I think a single-partition default is fine for those who do defaults,
> like new users.  Still arguable, but not something to be "shocked"
> about.
>
> Pete

It's the default on Ubuntu (you get a swap partition too). I think it is
sensible - although I think I may give them a /home as well as it makes
upgrading easier.

Caroline

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk