[Gllug] Microsoft was distributing Ubuntu

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Mon Jun 25 08:00:11 UTC 2007

Hi All

Just seen this on slashdot, Microsoft 'was' offering Ubuntu from the
Market Place website
http://rss.slashdot.org/~r/Slashdot/slashdotLinux/~3/127061174/article.pl

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:D1ZIAHrGuGIJ:www.windowsmarketplace.com/details.aspx%3Fitemid%3D3411347+ubuntu+windowsmarketplace&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

(Sorry about the long link above)

I'm wondering if the offer was withdrawn at Mr Shuttleworths request or
did MS withdraw it themselves seeing as they got the concept of GPL
slightly wrong which makes me laugh as they have done nothing but
litigate licensing over the last 10 years or so.

Actually this begs an interesting question, we all extol the virtues of
Freely downloadable so how does Microsoft offering 'Download Space' for
Linux Distro's' sit with the community? For me personally in line with
the Freedom ethos I don't have a problem with it. what's your view?

--
Regards

Peter cannon

"There is every excuse for not knowing