[Gllug] ext3 filesystem suddenly full

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Fri Jun 22 17:15:00 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 05:36:52PM +0100, Chris wrote:
> Hi
>
> john at sinodun.org.uk wrote:
> > the average installer by default will still allocate *all* the disc space
> > to partitions, regardless of how much there is.
>
> Isn't that what you'd expect it to do? People are going to be a little
> bit surprised if their 120GB machine is "missing" 60GB.

There is no reason why a GUI filesystem tool can't show the unallocated
space in LVM.  Windows manages it and I wouldn't be surprised if the
default SuSE one can.  The one in the SuSE installer could, the last
time I looked (which was several years ago).

> >             |   could be allocated to it.  Would you        |
> >             |   like to increase its size now?              |
>
> I will translate that question into "Would you like to start a very
> delicate filesystem resize? You may lose 100% of your data". Also you'd
> want to push them to do a backup, etc.

Growing an XFS or Ext3 filesystem is not a delicate, high-risk
operation.  Compare this to the hassle of having to juggle partitions
that were poorly allocated across the whole of the available space.
Arguing against the sensible use of LVM just because it might confuse
the uninitiated seems a little reactionary; requiring people to add an
extra disk to a machine just to correct that misjudgement and not
because the disk is needed, only points that up.

Most of the commercial distributions have moved to using LVM by default
and offer point-and-click management tools for it.  What's the point of
that if the storage system then defaults to the dumbest option?

--
Bruce

It is impolite to tell a man who is carrying you on his shoulders that
his head smells.