[Gllug] ext3 filesystem suddenly full

Chris Jones cmsj at tenshu.net
Fri Jun 22 17:47:16 UTC 2007

Hi

Alain Williams wrote:
> Are you saying that you have had a bad experience ?

Nope, every time I've resized an ext partition it's been fine. I know
how to reboot into single user mode, run the commands individually by
hand, rsync a backup elsewhere first and generally not screw it up.
Jo(e) Newbie is going to click a button and expect it all to happen for
them and they will have no idea how to recover if it all explodes.

> Who has done this, how often, how recently, success/fail ?

The point isn't how reliable it is, the point is that it either works
perfectly or eats all of your data. There's no recovery (well, there is
of course, you could scrape the disk, but that's well beyond most
users). No undo. No rollback. And in the case of some/many/most users,
there will be no backup to restore from.

So you've confused your users out of the box by hiding most of their
disk, then you (regularly?) present them with disk resizing prompts
which either tie their computer up while resizing, or eat all their data.

Just to avoid everything on one partition? Seems like the solution is
worse than the problem.

Cheers,
--
Chris Jones