[Gllug] ext3 filesystem suddenly full

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat Jun 23 21:57:54 UTC 2007

On 22 Jun 2007, Chris Jones said:

> Hi
>
> Nix wrote:
>> / should have enough on it to repair the other filesystems if they
>
> I particularly like how the word "should" keeps popping up, as if there
> is any right way of doing this. Your opinions and methods that work for
> you don't necessarily scale across all systems, or apply to all users
> (remember, there are literally millions of users now).

There isn't a One Right Way, but there is a minimum acceptable set.
If you don't have enough on / to repair the other filesystems if they
break, you're in terminal trouble. (Also, when I'm setting up systems,
I use `should' in the stronger sense, because, well, of course I'm going
to do what I think is right when setting them up.)

> Personally, I think fixed size partitions need to go away to get rid of
> this insane mess. See btrfs.

btrfs's subvolumes are *not* repeat *not* partitions. They're
independently checkable but are interleaved entities with interdependent
data, so filesystem damage can easily whap several at once.

--
`... in the sense that dragons logically follow evolution so they would
 be able to wield metal.' --- Kenneth Eng's colourless green ideas sleep
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk