[Gllug] ext3 filesystem suddenly full

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Fri Jun 22 07:31:26 UTC 2007

I totally agree with Jason's comments.

In my very limited experience of installing Linux distros from scratch, my
recollection is that you don't get much info as to what is absolutely needed in
root, what can be mounted elsewhere and importantly how much size the 'other'
filesystems need to be.
Without that info is difficult trying to create a system of a suitable disc
structure.  The temptations is therefore to just let everything go into one
file system and then sort it out later (which for various reasons may not
happen!).

On a similar note I am constantly horrified by Windows systems with a HUGE
disc,  installed as 'C'  with everything crammed into it.   When Windows
eventually breaks (as all windows do eventually  hehe) and really needs to be
reinstalled its a complete pain.   Likewise I am surprised at the number of
commercial Windows applications that shove their database in a sub-directory/
folder or there own program-directeory rather than giving the option to put it
elsewhere (preferably on anotehr partition/drive).

Tim
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk